The perfect male body

The stats behind the perfect male body

Photo: Getty Images

You’re not alone in wanting to know what women fancy aesthetically in a man. These answers will put you a step closer to deciphering female desire

The code is cracked and we hold it in our hands: a survey conducted for website Treadmill Reviews interviewed 1,000 women in the US about the perfect male body, and they all had very definite ideas what they wanted. So pay attention and take notes: here are the statistics behind the ideal man.

  • Height and weight
  • Sportiness
  • Hair and eye colour
  • Complexion
  • Important features
  • Conclusion: how perfect are you?
Read more

Height and weight

The women in the study agreed that they like tall men, but not too tall: Their desired height was 1.83 metres. When it came to weight, tipping the scales at around 85 kilograms was found to be just right. Funnily enough, if you run those figures through a BMI calculator, the perfect man is ever so slightly overweight.

Borussia Dortmund GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Official Borussia Dortmund Giphy account #bvb #echteliebe

Sportiness

If you thought the BMI score gives you carte blanche to slob out, think again. The women questioned made it perfectly clear: their ideal man should be sporty. To be the ultimate Mr. Perfect, you’ll need to be physically active for eight hours a week. This also gives an idea of the body shape women want. The high BMI result seems due more to having the wide shoulders of an athlete, rather than someone who scoffs down bacon butties every day. The desired chest circumference of 104 centimetres also suggests women want their man to have a more muscle-bound profile.

Fitness GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & Share this Fitness GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.

Hair and eye colour

A clear follicular winner emerged from the study, with 58.6% of the study participants dreaming of running their fingers through the hair of a brunette man. Black hair was a distant second, desired by 33.8% of women. The race was a lot closer when it came to eye colour with (rather rare) blue eyes coming out slightly ahead those of a more brownish hue. If you’ve got green eyes, the results shouldn’t worry you, as they were still up there as a popular choice.

Fire GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & Share this Fire GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.

Read more

Complexion

Go easy on your next visit to the tanning parlour: women want nothing more than a subtle tan. At opposing ends of the spectrum, very light and very dark skin tones barely registered in the survey.

Tan GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & Share this Tan GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.

Important features

One rock solid finding was that women are less superficial than men, as the face and the eyes are their two most popular body parts. After a woman has checked out your face, she will probably continue down to your arms, chest and shoulders, with these ranking three to five respectively. If you put in that eight hours of training a week, then, it’ll definitely pay off.

Man GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & Share this Man GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.

Conclusion: How perfect are you?

Having looked at the results, you might begin to wonder how you measure up to such visions of perfection. Should you really head out and buy that brunette hair dye and blue-tinted contact lenses straight away? The answer is probably not. While just over 40 per cent of women said they would only date men who look either the same or very similar to their ideal body type, the other 60 per cent were not so dogmatic. If you’re in good shape, have a nice smile and – above all else – treat people with decency and good humour, you’ll likely have no problems attracting the opposite sex.

Warner Archive GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Thousands of Films and TV Series Direct from the Studio's Vault

Read more
01 2017 The Red Bulletin

Next story