17. When deadmau5 opened up his “Terrordome”
The only EDM artist performing on the main stage, deadmau5 made it count, launching his new stage show — a glowing geodesic dome that splits into four in front of a massive projection screen.
16. When the high-five record was broken
Of course there’s a high-five record. But what’s surprising is that Bonnaroo — the high-five capital of the world — didn’t own it. The problem was solved Friday afternoon.
15. When Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes sang her first note
The frontwoman completely mesmerized — yes, this word applies here — a crowd that stretched far beyond the limits of the What Stage from the first note to the last. Alabama Shakes’ first appearance at Bonnaroo in 2013 was memorable one, but the one Friday night was for the ages.
14. When this young couple got married
Getting married has become a thing at Bonnaroo. This year there were no less than three (probably many more) at the festival.
13. When Tove Lo lit up Twitter Thursday night
“Thank you, Tove Lo.” “Tove Lo just flashed us. Night Complete.” These were just a couple of the tweets after the Swedish singer experienced a shirt “malfunction.”
12. When Jamie xx spun vinyl
And everyone got down in the Other Tent on a Saturday evening.
11. When Chance the Rapper joined SZA on stage
Not too long ago (just a few months, actually) Chance the Rapper was calling special guests onto the stage. Now he’s the special one, appearing with SZA. He also guested with Flying Lotus and Earth, Wind & Fire.
10. When Big Freedia hit the stage proved she’s the Queen Diva of Bounce
Those who really know made a point to venture north of the main stages to catch Big Freedia in a special appearance at Red Bull Bass Camp.
9. When everyone got down to “It’s Tricky”
So at the next wedding you attend, you can say that the last time you danced to the song was when DMC performed it at the Throwback SuperJam Dance Party. Boom.
8. When three mosh pits opened up at the Slayer performance
The first opened up like a funnel cloud the moment Slayer executed their first power chord. Then another behind it. Then a third. One for each decade of Slayer’s existence.
7. When AWOLNATION made their Bonnaroo debut on the Which Stage
We’ve watched the Red Bull Records artist cut their first album. We’ve watched them stay on the charts with “Sail” for eternity. We’ve watched them cut their second album and reach No. 1 on the Alternative Charts. Now we’ve seen them at Bonnaroo. To be continued.
6. When Mumford & Sons brought out its own superjam
Honestly, it was an impassioned and special performance from beginning to end. But when My Morning Jacket, Hozier, The War on Drugs and photographer Danny Clinch joined Mumford & Sons on stage for the finale, well, let’s just say there were goosebumps.
5. When Twenty One Pilots climbed to the top of the soundboard tower
They were doing backflips. They were standing on the piano. They were playing drums in the crowd. But it was still shockingly awesome when singer Tyler Joseph ran through the aisle to the soundboard and climbed atop the tower.
4. When Kendrick Lamar freestyled with Earth, Wind & Fire
Just minutes after totally destroying on the What Stage, Kendrick Lamar appeared with Chance the Rapper on the Which Stage to freestyle over “Gratitude.”
3. When the sun set over the grounds each and every night
The best part? Knowing that the sunset was just the beginning of the night.
2. When Florence + The Machine turned the What Stage into a teenager’s bedroom
Dancing bare feet from one end of the stage to the other, Florence Welch proved that no artist has much talent, energy and spring in her feet as she does.
1. When Billy Joel led Bonnaroo in a two-hour sing-a-long
Even if you don’t think you know every Billy Joel song, you actually do know every Billy Joel song. Except the lyrics to “We Didn’t Start the Fire.”