Dave Asprey, the Bio-hacking superstarFine-tuning our biological make-up
The Red Bulletin presents Game Changers. The people, things and ideas that will change our lives in 2016.
This 43-year-old is basically a pop star to the global community of roughly 100,000 ambitious bio-hackers—that is, people who make sometimes drastic changes to their own bodies with the aim of improving them or even adding superhuman abilities, such as using eye drops that help you see in absolute darkness. Asprey has come up with a somewhat less invasive, though no less effective, hack for his own life. He drinks a special coffee each morning, adding a knob of butter along with some coconut oil extract. Allegedly, this unusual brew increases your productivity and intelligence. Bulletproof Coffee has also received some hype in a major TV show recently.
The Bulletproof Diet
Dave Asprey is also the author of The Bulletproof Diet: Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life. The diet explores how food, supplements, and technology might be used to “hack” human biology and tells you the right amount of food and the right type of food to eat – plus when to eat it and how to cook it.
14 Steps To Eating The Bulletproof Diet (source: bulletproofexec.com)
1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS, honey, and agave) .
3. Eliminate gluten in any shape or form. This includes bread, cereal, and pasta. Do not make the mistake of resorting to gluten free junk food, which can be almost as bad.
4. Remove grains, grain derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola. Also remove unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
5. Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
6. Eat significant amounts of pastured, grass-fed meat from big ruminant animals such as beef, lamb, and bison. Pair this with fish, eggs, and shellfish.
7. Eliminate legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you must have your beans, soak, sprout (or ferment), and cook them.
8. Remove all processed, homogenized, and pasteurized dairy. High fat items can be pasteurized, but they should be gress-fed. Full fat, raw, whole dairy from grass-fed cows is okay for most people.
9. Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood. Eat pastured eggs and some pork, chickens, turkeys, and ducks.
10. Switch to organic fruits and vegetables. This is more important for some plants than others. See this site for details.
11. Cook your food gently, if at all. Incorporate water into your cooking whenever possible and use low temperatures. Do not use a microwave or fry.
12. Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day. Favor low fructose containing fruits like berries and lemons over watermelon and apples.
13. Add spices and other flavorings from the Bulletproof Diet. Favor herb based spices such as thyme and rosemary over powders. Use high quality ones, recently opened.
14. Enjoy your food.